Jul 19, 2012

Na-na-na Batman! Paper Crafts

Me as Batgirl for Halloween 2012
So today I showed up to work in all my complete Batman ensemble, and I got some looks. From my hairpins and earrings to my Barbara Gordon pin and yellow "utility" belt, I am as ready as I'll ever be for tonight's midnight opening of Chris Nolan's final Batman installment (only 9 hours and 19 minutes away). I am very excited!!!
I have a long history with Batman, going back to when I was a little girl keeping up with the Batman movies and getting really into The Animated Series (still one of the best television shows of all time, in my opinion). When I worked in the comic book store, it seemed natural for the staff to align themselves with certain comics and certain heroes. Some of us went with the troubling magical realism of Marvel heroes, particularly the X-Men; some of us felt a little closer to darker indie series like Transmet and Promethea (fantastic titles). I liked to hang around the Dark Horse and Vertigo shelves; I voraciously ate up all the Sandman and Fables I could afford - I know I spent more money at the comic shop than I made there... worth it. But when it came to classic heroes, Batman and his crew have his special place in my heart (followed closely by Barry Allen Flash). I always loved Barbara Gordon the most within the Bat-verse. She has one of the most nuanced storylines I've ever read in a classic superhero series, and since the silver age and the Bat-renaissance of the 1980's (read some Allen Moore Batman!), her writers have always treated her with a huge amount of respect - while simultaneously killing people she loves and completely disabling her. Read some Birds of Prey by Gail Simone and you'll see what I'm talking about. It's not just a female hero in a feminist style - it's a good character, someone you can feel like listening to or learning with, and I love her. While I wait for an appropriate time to go to the theater for tonight's premier, I really need to find some outlet for my enthusiasm, so I've been looking up Batman paper crafts for some last minute desk decorations.
Here's what I've got (links to sites + downloadable files):
If that wasn't enough Batman stuff for you (it isn't for me), then you should join me in spending the afternoon watching Gotham Girls online (archived at the WB). This was a short webseries featuring the good and bad girls of Gotham City Batman TAS-style: Batgirl, Catwoman, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, and Zatanna.

No comments:

Post a Comment