Jul 11, 2012

Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies with Lime

My boyfriend and I agreed to cook two healthy meals together for every one going out to dinner date to save on money and eat a little healthier. Both of us individually are pretty good at eating well and exercising regularly, but we're not so diligent when we're together. Today is one of our home-cooked meal days, and we're planning on making Curry with Coconut Milk from Skinnytaste (awesome site for yummy, btw) and it looks so good! But, inevitably, I know I will want dessert after. So to keep it still in the acceptably healthy range, I turned to another food blogger I really like, Chocolate Covered Katie and her "World's Healthiest Chocolate Chip Cookies" aka "Not Guilty Chocolate Chip Cookies". I love her site because she's vegan and so she only puts up recipes that are dairy- and egg- free, and she has some really creative ways of making desserts from whole foods, which I like.
Her cookie recipe took me only about 5 minutes to whip together (really). When I was done setting the dough on my cookie sheet, I looked at the mixing bowl and it suddenly occurred to me that there are no eggs in the dough, so there's no reason I can't lick the spoons... and spoon liking commenced. I made a couple of adjustments to the original recipe: I used Almond milk for one of my wet ingredients, I also exchanged one tablespoon of the milk for the juice of half a medium sized lime, and I added lime zest. I felt like lime would give these a little boost and summeriness, maybe make them a little refreshing with some lemonade. I also kept my batch in the oven longer. Her recipe instructs to take them out after 7 minutes, but mine were so underdone, I couldn't move them from the mat to the cooling rack without smooshing them. I like crunchy cookies anyway.

My Version of the Not Guilty CCC:

Click to download a printable recipe card for Vegan Lime CC Cookies
Things you'll need:
  • 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup flour (I used all purpose)
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/3 cup chocolate chips
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp white sugar
  • the zest of one medium lime
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2 tbsp almond milk
  • 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Mix your dry ingredients, then add in wet. Form cookies and bake 8 - 9 minutes. Easy-peasy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment